Ash Wednesday, February 26
Masses: 7:30 a.m., Noon, 7:30 p.m.
Liturgy of the Word: 4:30 p.m.
Stations of the Cross
Lenten Fridays: Noon
Saturdays: 4:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m., also by appointment
Tuesday, April 7: 7:00 p.m. (communal penance service)
- The days of both Fast and Abstinence during Lent are Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. If possible, the fast on Good Friday is continued until the Easter Vigil (on Holy Saturday night) as the “paschal fast” to honor the suffering and death of the Lord Jesus, and to prepare ourselves to share more fully and to celebrate more readily his Resurrection. The other Fridays of Lent are days of Abstinence.
On a day of Fast, only one full meal is permitted, and two smaller meals, which, if added together, would not exceed the main meal in quantity.
Those between the ages of 18 and 59 are obliged to fast.
On a day of Abstinence, no meat may be eaten. Those who have reached the age of 14 are obliged by the law of abstinence.
- The obligation to observe the laws of Fast and Abstinence “substantially,” or as a whole, is a serious obligation.
- The Fridays of the year, outside of Lent, are designated as days of penance, but each individual may substitute for the traditional abstinence from meat some other practice of voluntary self-denial as penance.
- The time for fulfilling the Paschal Precept (Easter Duty1) extends from the First Sunday of Lent, March 1, 2020, to the Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity, June 7, 2020.
- The Code of Canon Law (Canon 1253) allows the pastor to grant, in individual cases and for a just cause, a commutation of the obligations associated with the Lenten days of penance into pious works. The Code would also allow a pastor in those circumstances to dispense an individual from the specified obligations. Please contact Father Jim if you have any concerns about your ability to adhere to any or all of the Lenten Regulations.
1 Canon 920, §1. All the faithful, after they have been initiated into the Most Holy Eucharist, are bound by the obligation of receiving Communion at least once a year.